Your fence is an important part of your property, providing security, privacy, and higher value. But like any part of your property, it will eventually need to be replaced. By paying close attention to the condition of your fence, you can ensure that it’s repaired or replaced on time, keeping your family safe and your home looking its best.
Below, we’ll discuss how long you need to to wait before replacing your fence, the cost of fence repair and replacement, and tips for choosing a new fence.
How Long To Wait Before Replacing Your Fence
The age of your fence is one of the most important factors to consider when determining if it’s time for a new one. Here’s the average lifespan of a fence based on material:
- Wood fence: 15-20 years
- Chain link fence: 20-25 years
- Metal fence: 25-30 years
- Vinyl fence: 30-40 years
Keep in mind that your fence may need to be replaced sooner due to weather damage, climate, or everyday use. If you notice any of these warning signs, get in touch with a local fence company as soon as you can:
- Storm damage
- Sagging or leaning
- Damaged or broken boards
- Large holes or gaps
Fence Repair and Replacement Costs
Understanding the cost of fence repair and replacement will help you set a budget, make informed decisions, and avoid overspending.
How much does it cost to replace a fence?
A fence replacement in the Dallas-Fort Worth area costs an average of $3,825, but the exact cost will depend largely on the type of fence you choose.
Here’s the nationwide average fence price per linear foot:
- Barbed Wire: $1 – $7
- Picket Fence: $10 – $15
- Chain Link: $9 – $30
- Wood: $17 – $22
- Vinyl: $15 – $30
- Metal: $24 – $32
- Composite: $23 – $37
How much does it cost to repair a fence?
The cost of repairing a fence in the Dallas-Fort Worth area depends on your fence type and the extent of the damage. You can expect to pay anywhere from $250 to $750 for regular repairs, and up to $1,000 or more for a major repair.
Common fence repairs include post replacement, board or panel replacement, and gate repair.
Is it cheaper to repair or replace a fence?
In general, repairing a fence is cheaper than replacing it. However, there are a few instances where it’s more cost-effective to replace your fence. Here are a few factors to consider before choosing one over the other:
- How old your fence is. If your fence is nearing the end of its lifespan, it’s usually more cost-effective to get it replaced.
- The extent of the damage. If you just have a few broken or missing boards, then repairing your fence is the way to go. However, if your entire fence is damaged, replacing it is the best option.
- How much you’re willing to spend. If a new fence isn’t in the cards right now, then you can always make the necessary repairs now and replace it later.
Factors To Consider When Choosing a Fence
The type of fence you have now might not be the best fence for your property, so it’s best to review your options before scheduling a fence replacement. Ask yourself the following questions before choosing a fence:
- What is my fence replacement budget? Chain link and wood fences cost less, on average, than metal and vinyl fences.
- What is the main purpose of my fence? You may want to keep pets and kids safe, add privacy to your outdoor living space, or boost property value.
- What type of fences do my neighbors have? When all of the fences in a neighborhood look similar, it can create a unified and cohesive look.
Don’t Wait To Repair or Replace Your Fence. Get a Free Quote From Juno Today!
If your fence has seen better days, it’s best to take care of it sooner rather than later. For quality fence repair and replacement in Dallas-Fort Worth, get in touch with Juno Construction. Hundreds of property owners have trusted us to keep their properties safe, private, and beautiful with a custom fence.
Want a free estimate? Schedule a visit today.